The Long Way Home

October 27, 2011

It took me 28 hours and 3 flights to go from Dallas, Texas to Seattle, WA via St. Louis and Chicago. I hope I got a lot of mileage points out of this trip. Through the perils, (or adventures!) of travel I got stranded in St. Louis though nicely stranded in a Hilton Hotel. However, by the time I got to said nice hotel I was so tired that I couldn’t even figure out what was missing with my luggage that went elsewhere. I always check through my tools, equipment and toiletries and carry on my clothes. So luckily, I had clothes when flying. But I didn’t have the obvious things like toothbrush, shampoo, and so on. All I could think of was food and sleep when I finally made it to the Hilton. I had eaten some instant oatmeal and almonds for breakfast back in Texas that morning at 7. By the time I was trying to figure out dinner it was after 8 p.m. and I was one starving traveler. Dinner arrived about 9ish and I was ready to eat the silverware. I had to get to bed as soon as I was done because my plane out was at 6:10 a.m. and required me to be at the airport at 4:30 a.m.
So I get up and take a shower at 3:30 a.m. A few scant hours after going to sleep. I get out of the shower and realize with horror that I don’t have a brush or comb or deodorant and am facing a very long day with two flights on the agenda. I apologize to all that may have seen me. I’m hoping they all thought I was just practicing for Halloween…

The funniest thing was getting to airport only to find that it wasn’t even open. I got to be the first in line to wait for TSA to open. Of course, once through the security gauntlet it was clear that nothing was open…no coffee to be had until an enterprising Burger King opened and everyone flocked to get coffee and a semblance of breakfast. Me included. I was so tired that I walked past my gate twice and I was looking for it. Of course it was directly across from the Burger King where I had my eye on to catch a shorter line.

Finally it was on to an uneventful flight to Chicago. Then the long haul to Seattle, a shuttle ride home, some lunch and to bed for a well deserved nap! I thought the big marathon of this trip was last Saturday when I taught the 8:30-4 class and then a 5:30-8:30 p.m. class the same day with another all day class on Sunday starting at 8:30 in the morning. Little did I know that Monday and Tuesday had so much more in store for this short trip. I think it’s going to take a week to recuperate. It’s great to be home.


One Response to “The Long Way Home”

  1. mariesegal said

    Awww the never ending pleasures of traveling.
    Home is good!
    I am so sorry you went through that, made me tired just hearing about it.
    Happy Halloweeeeeeeen my dear.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: